My experience as an internal coach has been quite exciting and educative especially being in Human Resources department of the company. Just like it has being for other coaches, coaching is relatively unknown, and a coach is misunderstood and confused for a mentor, advisor consultant. The first challenge as an internal coach for me was introducing “coaching” to my organization.
I started out by introducing coaching to my team (theHR Group) and after several presentations, tests and homework assignments I can say they understand what coaching entails. A few of them have taken interest in coaching and are willing to take up coaching for themselves and as an area of specialization as part of their HR role.
I then reached outto our Talent Group. The Talent Group is our “future leaders”identified from different departments through a thorough and rigorous process. I chose this group because they are few, the purpose of establishing the group – future leadership, aligns with my niche coaching area – Leadership & Executive Coaching and they are the most likely change agents in the company.
My efforts are gradually paying off as a few of my current coachees were recommended by their managers as part of their accelerated development.
Generally all my clients/coachees have come to appreciate the importance of coaching. One of my themsaid; I think everybody needs a coach to get them to achieve their ultimate goals in different aspects of life.
- Make coaching a core development program for all current and future leaders of the company.
- Have more employees, especially from HRgroup, take up certification courses with ICF accredited coaching institutions, hopefully with some financial support from the company’s training budget.
- Develop a measure of ROI on coaching for the company to make it easier formy teamto sell coaching to management.
- Influence other organizations to buy coaching
Future Challenges for Me as an Internal Coach:
- Coaching an employee as last ditch attempt to save their employment
- Ability to separate my role as an employees’ coach and the HR Manager, especially when serious management decisions are being made on their future with the company.